Planning FAQ

Q: How do I contact members of the Planning Commission?
A: Planning Commission members do not have offices, but can be contacted by addressing correspondence to them in care of the Planning Department.

Q: During what hours can I contact the Planning Department staff personnel?
A: Office Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Q: How do I contact staff at the Planning Department?
A: Send all mail to:

  • Planning Department
    400 West Stephen, Suite 203
    Martinsburg, WV 25401


  • Phone: 304-264-1963
    Fax: 304-262-3127


  • See individual staff contact information by clicking on the Staff link to the left under Planning Department.

Q: How do I get to the Planning Department office?
A: Directions: From I-81

  • Take I-81 North or South to Exit 13 (King Street Exit) passing Sheetz. Continue on King Street to the fourth traffic light. Turn right on Raleigh Street and go two blocks. Office is located in brick building on your left side before Stephen Street. There is parking lot in front of the building.

Q: Is a Guest Residence permitted and under what criteria?
A: Yes and must meet the following:

  • The square footage of the guest residence shall not exceed sixty percent (60%) of the habitable square footage of the primary residence. The guest residence shall have approved utilities. The parcel of land containing a guest residence shall remain in single ownership.

Q: How do I file a complaint?
A: A complaint form is required to be filed and signed with the Code Enforcement Officer. The form can be found at: 
Planning Complaint Form (PDF)

Q: How many junk or inoperable vehicles can I have on my property?
A: Zero are permitted.

Q: Does Berkeley County have Zoning?
A: Yes. The majority of the county is not zoned. However, zoning was adopted for the Tuscarora and Windewald District in the early 1970s. Maps and the regulations for these districts can be found under the Regulations tab under Planning Department. The ordinances and maps can be found under the regulations tab.

Q: Are there any regulations governing development around the airport?
A: Yes. These regulations can be found in Appendix E of the Subdivision Regulations.

Q: When do I need to file a site plan?
A: A site plan is needed for any project that intends to disturb more than 5,000 square feet of area. Site plans need to be approved by the Planning Commission prior to any earth-moving or construction on the site.

Q: Does the Planning Department issue Business Licenses?
A: No. Business Licenses are issued via the WV Secretary of State. Their website is

Q: Can I build a structure in the 100-year floodplain?
A: Berkeley County does have a Floodplain Management Ordinance, administered by the Planning Department, which regulates development and construction within the 100-year floodplain. Depending upon the proposed development, you may be able to build within the floodplain, but this determination is made by the Floodplain Manager.

Q: Does the County own or maintain any roads?
A: No. All roads within Berkeley County are either owned and maintained by the 
WV Department of Transportation or are privately owned (single owners, HOAs, etc.).