Online Services

Departments & Services

Applications & Downloads

Building Permit

Hunting & Fishing


- One Stop Applications

- Forms & Downloads


- Staff

- Fees

- Building Permit Process

- Inspection Requirements

- Codes in Effect

- Certificate of Occupancy

- Approved Electrical Inspectors

Fiduciary Supervisor - Estate and Will Probate

Planning Department

- One Stop Applications


- Staff

- Planning Commission

- Meeting Calendar

- Activity Reports

- Annual Project Activity Maps

- Regulations

- Fee Schedule (PDF)

- Applications & Checklists

- Complaint Form

- Litter Control Complaint Form

- FEMA Flood Tool

- July 2009 FEMA Flood Study

- Development Roundtable

Law Enforcement

- Concealed Weapon Permit

- Barking Dog Ordinance

- Vicious Dog Ordinance

- Nuisance Animals


- Land Sale Q & A

Emergency Communications

- GIS Maps

- 911 Address Change Ordinance

- Revised E 911 Ordinance

Homeland Security/Emergency Management

- 2009 Hazard Mitigation Plan

- DRAFT 2012 Hazard Mitigation Plan

Recycling Plans

Tax Records

Facilities Work Order

Fleet/Vehicle Work Order

IT Helpdesk


- Applications & Downloads
- Tax Records
- GIS Maps

County Council

- Open Bid Announcements
- Ordinances
- 2021 Council Schedule


Public Safety

- Emergency Communications
- Emergency Management

Prosecuting Attorney

- View Dockets

- Press Releases

- Juvenile Incorrigible Form


Inmate Locators:

- WV Regional Jail Authority

- WV Department of Corrections

- Federal Prisons

Public Service Announcements

County Employment

Comprehensive Plan Update

Flood Page

Document Library

-Building Comm Audit Pubs

-Building Comm Financial Pubs

-CC Audit Pubs

-CC Budget Pubs

-CC Financial Statements

-CC Franchise Agreements

-CC Ordinances


-Hazard Mitigation Plan

-Planning Dept Activity Reports

-Planning Dept Apps & Checklists

-Planning Dept Regulations

-Stormwater Management


Upcoming Events

October 2021
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

View full calendar


Planning Department

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I contact members of the Planning Commission?

A: Planning Commission members do not have offices, but can be contacted by addressing correspondence to them in care of the Planning Department.

Q: During what hours can I contact the Planning Department staff personnel?

A: Office Hours are 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m., Monday through Friday.

Q: How do I contact staff at the Planning Department?

A: Send all mail to:

Planning Department
400 West Stephen, Suite 203
Martinsburg, WV 25401


Phone: 304-264-1963
Fax: 304-262-3127


See individual staff contact information by clicking on the Staff link to the left under Planning Department.

Q: How do I get to the Planning Department office?

A: Directions: From I-81

Take I-81 North or South to Exit 13 (King Street Exit) passing Sheetz. Continue on King Street to the fourth traffic light. Turn right on Raleigh Street and go two blocks. Office is located in brick building on your left side before Stephen Street. There is parking lot in front of the building.

Q: Is a Guest Residence permitted and under what criteria?

A: Yes and must meet the following:

  • The square footage of the guest residence shall not exceed sixty percent (60%) of the habitable square footage of the primary residence.
  • The guest residence shall have approved utilities.
  • The parcel of land containing a guest residence shall remain in single ownership.

Q: How do I file a complaint?

A: A complaint form is required to be filed and signed with the Code Enforcement Officer. The form can be found at: Planning Complaint Form (PDF)

Q: How many junk or inoperable vehicles can I have on my property?

A: Zero are permitted.

Q: Does Berkeley County have Zoning?

A: Yes. The majority of the county is not zoned. However, zoning was adopted for the Tuscarora and Windewald District in the early 1970s. Maps and the regulations for these districts can be found under the Regulations tab under Planning Department. The ordinances and maps can be found under the regulations tab.

Q: Are there any regulations governing development around the airport?

A: Yes. These regulations can be found in Appendix E of the Subdivision Regulations.

Q: When do I need to file a site plan?

A: A site plan is needed for any project that intends to disturb more than 5,000 square feet of area. Site plans need to be approved by the Planning Commission prior to any earth-moving or construction on the site.

Q: Does the Planning Department issue Business Licenses?

A: No. Business Licenses are issued via the WV Secretary of State. Their website is

Q: Can I build a structure in the 100-year floodplain?

A: Berkeley County does have a Floodplain Management Ordinance, administered by the Planning Department, which regulates development and construction within the 100-year floodplain. Depending upon the proposed development, you may be able to build within the floodplain, but this determination is made by the Floodplain Manager.

Q: Does the County own or maintain any roads?

A: No. All roads within Berkeley County are either owned and maintained by the WV Department of Highways or are privately owned (single owners, HOAs, etc.).